Drive Shafts: Buying Guide and FAQ
What Do Drive Shafts Do?
They turn the torque and rotary energy from your Mitsubishi vehicle's engine into the motion that gets all its many different parts going.
What Types of Drive Shafts are There?
Front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, four-wheel drive, and all-wheel drive -- FWD, RWD, 4WD, and AWD, respectively.
How FWD Works
Front-wheel-drive systems use the front wheels to move the vehicle, primarily. All their parts are installed in the front, and constant velocity joints (CV joints) connect to the differential to help run them all.
How RWD Works
Rear-wheel-drive systems primarily use the rear wheels for motive power. The drive shaft connects to the differential and the transmission on opposite ends, and it has universal joints (U-joints, for short) instead of CV joints.
How 4WD and AWD Work
Four-wheel-drive systems and all-wheel-drive systems use two drive shafts, with the front one using U-joints to connect to both the front differential and the transfer case. Every wheel helps move the vehicle here.
What are the Signs of a Bad Drive Shaft?
That depends on the conditions of the U-joints, coupler, carrier bearings, and CV joints.
- Symptoms of a worn or failing U-joint or coupler or bad carrier bearings: problems turning, a vibrating undercarriage, and loud clunking during shifting
- Symptoms of a worn or failing CV joint: clicking or knocking sounds
- Symptoms of a loose U-joint: shuddering when accelerating
See any of these, and further drive shaft damage is sure to follow. Need to get a new one? Be sure to buy the genuine article.
Why Buy a Genuine Mitsubishi Drive Shaft?
It'll come from your brand compatible with your car or SUV -- a guarantee you may not get if you buy an aftermarket drive shaft.
Where Can I Order OEM Drive Shafts for My Mitsubishi Online?
From the catalog here at our auto parts store. Want to quickly and easily find what fits your ride? Just browse our catalog by model and model year. Order now, and we'll ship as soon as possible, delivering right to your doorstep.
No results found for "drive shaft". Here are some helpful search tips:
- Search by a part name. Example: water pump.
- Be less specific. Example: brake instead of ceramic brake.
- Remove information such as make, year or model.
- Can't find the part you are looking for? Contact us and we'll find it for you!